Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Ulang Tahun dan Malioboro

Last Sunday was my host father's, Pak Handono's, 46th birthday. We spent the day with his sister and her family to celebrate, starting by meeting at a church in Yogya for the Sunday service. I particularly like this church because it is big and has a large mural painted on the front wall. On Sunday, however, we arrived a little late so we had to sit on the overflow benches outside, and watch the service on a TV. This turned out not to be so bad, because it got to be a hot morning and there was a nice breeze outside to cool us off.
After the service, we did a bit of driving. We went to the hotel where Pak Handono's relatives were staying so that they could check out, and then we went to see the women's boarding house that my host mom, Helena, just opened a few weeks ago. After that, we headed out north of Yogya for lunch. It was a long drive, and by the time we arrived at the restaurant everyone was hungry. The drive was worth it though! The restaurant was beautiful- everything was made of bamboo and the eating rooms were suspended over a pond (it was man-made, I believe). We took off our shoes outside the eating area, sat on the floor, and ordered drinks. I said I wanted an es teh panas. Hot iced tea. I felt really dumb, and eventually we got it sorted out. I am very much looking forward to being able to speak well in bahasa Indonesia. For food, we ordered two different kinds of shrimp, fried tofu and tempe, a vegetable salad, and grilled carp. I was surprised that the restaurant would serve carp- I've always thought that they weren't good to eat, but perhaps it was a different variety than there is in the Cannon River in Northfield. The fish was smaller than the average Minnesota carp, and very tasty. We also brought a chocolate cake for Pak Handono, which we actually ate before the meal started and only used our hands. Sticky, but delicious.


Walk ways to the eating areas


The view from our table

After lunch, we decided to go to St. Mary's Cave. The drive there was on a long, winding, mountain road. The scenery out the car window was beautiful, but I was getting a little carsick, so I couldn't gaze for too long. Once we were out of the car, we bought a box of candles from a little stand next to the road and then climbed up some stairs to the shrine. There was a washing station along the way, with many different water spigots, where everyone washed their hands, arms, and faces. The water there is said to keep you looking young. The "cave" was really just a large rock with a statue of Mary set into it and surrounded by roses and burning candles. Everyone lit a candle and stuck it to the rock with a little hot wax, then sat down on small stools and prayed. All you could hear was the rustling of the trees in the wind; it was the most quiet few minutes I've ever experienced since coming here, and for some reason it was hard not to cry. I lit a candle for all my family, friends, and supporters back home, and got the chance to sit and think about my purpose here as an exchange student and all the opportunities that lie ahead of me. After praying, we hung out and took some pictures before heading home. It was a nice, relaxing Sunday.

Street vendors selling candles, roses, rosaries, and other souveniers


Building right next to St. Mary's Cave. The washing station is to the right of this creek, on the lower level. The shrine is up the stairs from there, on the same level as the upper bridge.


If you'll allow me to backtrack to Saturday night, I also went on my first visit (of many, I hope) to Malioboro- a popular market place in Yogya. It consists of one main street, lined with shops, and then many restaurants and hotels nearby. I didn't get a chance to shop much, but we did take a short ride in a horse pulled carriage, which are everywhere in Malioboro. I learned that whenever you want to buy something here, always start bartering for half the given price (sometimes even less than that, if you're a foreigner). The whole street was mostly batik shops, but there were a few hotels and general stores, too. And packed with people, of course.
Malioboro, from the end of the main street.

And that's all I have for now. School is still going great, and I hope to post another entry about my home here in a few days. Until then- sampai jumpa!

No comments:

Post a Comment