Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Besok Pagi

I've always known that I would try many new things this year in Indonesia, but I didn't think that karaoke would be one of them. Last night some of the Rotex, Pauline, and I got together and sang for about two hours straight. First, I have to explain that karaoke here isn't the same as in the U.S.- it is much less embarrassing, thankfully. The place we went to has a bunch of smallish rooms with karaoke systems that you rent out with a group, so it's a more private (and preferable) environment for belting out tunes off-key. At first, Pauline and I were both adamant that no one would want to hear us sing, but we warmed up to it after awhile, and even did a few duets together. That doesn't mean that we sounded good, though. The Rotex sang a few songs in Indonesian, one in Javanese, and I think one in Japanese, but the majority were in English, so I had plenty of opportunities to join in. (Probably too many, my throat was sore by the end.) Someone threw in the Star Spangled Banner along the way just for me, which I butchered, but with pride. We concluded with Don't Want to Miss A Thing by Aerosmith. How cheesy.
Another exciting occurrence yesterday was the arrival of my new school uniform! Who knew a white shirt and long gray skirt would be So Cool. I had to give the skirts back to the tailor so she could take them out a few inches, which I had anticipated. I have a bit more hip than the average Asian school girl. Nonetheless, I felt like a million bucks strutting around in my skirt and white button up. The first-day-of-school outfit used to be a huge deal to me growing up, and so it is surprising, but refreshing, that I am stoked to be dressed exactly the same as everyone else when I make my first entrance at SMK 1 Kasihan. My initial hope was to blend in, but I've realized that that's not really feasible, so now I just hope I will find someone to sit with at lunch. Baby steps. So tomorrow will be my first day of school but also the first time I will meet my host Rotary club, Yogya Tugu. I am excited and nervous for both, but I think I'm well enough prepared.
Regrettably, I feel the need to share another, not so good, landmark event in my exchange year. Last Sunday was the first time this year that I could not finish an Indonesian dish. For a long time I have prided myself in not being a picky eater; I can't remember the last time that I didn't finish a food even if I didn't particularly like it (and I have relatives who like to eat blood sausage and smoked oyster and sauerkraut pizza). However, oddly enough, it was an iced drink that brought me down, called es sambal. Basically it is a drink served in a sunday bowl with chunks of shaved ice and other things mixed in. I ordered an es campur, which had a mix of everything- chunks of fruit, avocado, and grass jelly (anise-flavored jello, I'm pretty sure). When I ordered, Vania asked me whether I wanted it sweet or sour, which I think is a question of whether or not you want coconut milk in it. I ordered sweet, but I didn't think it tasted that way at all. The taste reminded me of when my neighbor came back from Finland a long time ago and gave me some Finnish "candy" that was actually salty black gumdrops. I fished out all the fruit/jelly chunks, those weren't so bad, but I felt just awful letting the rest sit there- one thing I have noticed about Indonesians is that everyone always cleans their plate. And not to my surprise, I was the only one not to finish my es sambal. Oh, I hope that never happens again. And I hope I never have to taste anything like an es campur again, either.
At this point in time, my thoughts are directed entirely on my first day of school. I have almost everything I need, and Vania, my host mom and I are going out later this afternoon to get some school supplies. Tomorrow I will start school at 8:20 am with a Javanese Putri dance class, followed by a 30 minute istirahat (recess), two classes in a row of a dance called Alus, another 20 minute istirahat, and finally another dance class (I'm not sure what the third type is called, so I'll let you know in a few days) which ends at 2:30. I have to change classrooms for each class, so Di mana ini? Where is this? will be a useful phrase throughout the next week or two. I looked at a map of Yogya yesterday, and Vania pointed out where we lived and where my school was. It is, quite literally, on the complete opposite side of the city. I have a feeling that with my combination of nerves and excitement, it will seem like an especially long car ride tomorrow morning. Wish me luck. :)

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely LOVE reading your posts! Keep 'em coming! I think you are doing amazingly well!

    ReplyDelete