Sunday, October 16, 2011

Darah, Surabaya, dan Salak


I am right around the corner from going to the Inbound Orientation in Jakarta, which I will be sure to write about ASAP, but I'd like to write a short post to catch up on everything that's happened in the past week or so. I've found it's much more simple to write less, but more often- easier to remember everything.
So let's start about two weeks back, when some members of the Yogya Tugu Rotary club and I visited a rural elementary school north of the city. The Rotary District Governor was in town, so he came along as well. The school was small and simple, but the location was incredible! (To me, anyways. I bet the kids wouldn't think much of it since they live there.) Right across the road from the school yard were several rice fields surrounded by lush, green mountains. What a great view for daydreaming during class.
We peeked in a few classrooms, gave the principle some grocery bags of food (mostly noodles), and then went to meet some fifth grade students. This part was the main point of the trip- there were two nurses in the classroom taking blood samples from each student that would be used to test for anemia and malnutrition (the funding and medical supplies were provided by the Yogya Tugu club). Some of the kids were nervous to get their finger pricked, but they were all really good sports about it and didn't complain. I smiled and greeted the kids, but all of them were too shy to say anything (they just giggled and hid their faces). Once the nurses were finished, we went to take pictures outside. School must have just gotten out, because there were a few parents waiting and a sudden slew of small children running to join our picture. Afterwards some students came up and asked me my name (I was so surprised- everyone was very quiet before) and where I was from. Before I knew it there was a rush of little hands surrounding me, waiting to be greeted. Everyone was so polite- some even put my hand to their forehead, which surprised me, but was very sweet. They were all so adorable. I'd go back any day.

Yogya Tugu Rotarians and I

Taking blood in the classroom

The following week, I went on a four day trip to a city in Java Timur (East Java) called Surabaya. It was a long ride, but certainly worth the four days we spent there. Mainly the trip was to get a visa for my host sister Vania, who will be going to school in Seattle starting in December, but we also visited some old college friends of Pak Handono. Surabaya is a beautiful city. From the signs I saw, the city seemed to pride itself on being modern and "green". This could have meant that the city wanted to be eco-friendly, or it could have been more of an aesthetic description, because there were trees everywhere (much different than in Yogya). There were trees lining all the streets and planted in the medians, which was beautiful but also nice to have all that shade. Surabaya doesn't get as hot as Semarang, but it isn't cool in the mornings and evenings like in Yogya. In addition to the higher temperatures, prices are also higher in Surabaya (though our hotel rooms were still only $24 per night).
We didn't get to do much sightseeing in Surabaya, but we did get to stop by some cool fruit markets. The first one was famous for its apples, and located along one side of a busy road on the way out of town. Apples here are much smaller and more bitter than in the U.S., but I think they are considered somewhat special. We bought several bags as gifts for the families we visited. (I'm also drawing this conclusion from the wedding reception I went to- the fruit salad in our seven course dinner was made entirely from apples.)



The second fruit market was further out of town, and located in a large market complex, where there were several open buildings designated for meat, fish, fruit, and vegetables. I think we got there on a semi-closed day because there weren't many vendors, but I did get some good pictures of the types of fruit they have here.


The fruit building- very big and empty. I think we were the only customers there.



This is the pinecone fruit I mentioned in one of my very first posts. It's called salak.



This is pepino, a type of melon. I've never eaten it and no one in my host family knew what it was before we visited this market, but we were told that it has a ton of health benefits (for diabetes, heart problems, and other certain sicknesses).


The spiky fruit on the left is soursap, which I haven't gotten the chance to try yet, and on the right are mangos. I must say, mangos here are way better than in Minnesota. They are bright orange on the inside and have more flavor. Delicious.



Indonesian mangos do taste way better, but watermelons here are bland compared to ones from the U.S. I'm not sure what the yellow melons are.

Lastly, I have to mention my latest great food find- nasi pecel. I like to think of it as the Chipotle burrito of Java. You start with a banana leaf cup, folded like a snow cone and with a ball of white rice at the bottom. Then a mix of lettuce greens and bean sprouts are added, followed by a douse of bumbu kacang tanah (peanut sauce). You get to choose the main component of the meal, which can be almost anything. There were choices of fried tempe or tofu, shrimp, fish, several different kinds of meat, you name it. I chose a fried egg for mine. Lastly, the whole thing is topped off with some sort of sweet coconut shreds and deep fried peanut crackers. Oh, so good. The peanut sauce is mildly spicy, and also used for satai (small kabobs that are popular here). I hope I get a chance to eat it again. There are many different preparations of rice here, and this might be a type found mostly East Java. I also got a chance to eat nasi Bali (Balinese rice), which was white rice mixed with several different types of meat. It was good, but I don't think you can beat the perfect Chipotle mix of nasi pecel.
The Inbound Orientation is in four days and it seems like time is moving much slower than normal. However, I fly out early Friday morning, which means I don't miss any of my heavy dancing days at school, so I'm happy about that. I need all the practice I can get. Sampai jumpa!

No comments:

Post a Comment